What You Will Learn In This Episode:
Some men have become a bit too reliant on their wives to cook their meals for them. Countless times I have heard wives say, “I have to get home or my husband will starve!” Or when a husband calls his wife when she is away on business just to say that he doesn’t know what to eat. This surprised me, but then I took a step back. Cooking comes easily to me, as I was always around it when I grew up. My mom cooked every meal. We went out to eat just as much as the next person, but making dinner at home was always her thing. My dad would try every now and then, but it was mostly her in the kitchen.
My love for cooking started when I was away in Utah performing with the Utah Shakespeare Festival. I was fresh out of college. I found myself for the first time alone in an environment that was not very healthy. In addition to working out each day, I needed food to help me gain the muscle and energy that I needed…so I started to cook for myself. I expanded my efforts to cooking for my other roommates as well, and it was awesome. Eventually we took turns with the cooking responsibilities!
Today as a busy father of three and a husband to an amazing wife, I still cook most of the meals, but it doesn’t come so easily to some of my fellow dads out there. So what do you do when you are alone with the kids or if you don’t have kids? Or if you’re by yourself for an evening or two? Maybe your wife is away on business or an all girls retreat. Maybe she just wants a night off. What do you do?!
In this episode we hear from two men, who both wear aprons, on how to cook food for yourself! Believe it or not…if your wife or “mommy” is not home, you do not have to starve! Hope you enjoy!
Real Men Wear Aprons - How To Cook For Yourself
Items Mentioned In the Podcast:
- This episode’s sponsor is Grocerly. Grocerly is a mobile app designed to help you save time and money by keeping things simple when you shop for groceries. The app has many functions, including auto-organizing your shopping list by aisle at any grocery retail location you shop. The app is in the final stages of development and if you would like to sign up to be a beta tester, check them out at http://www.grocerly.com/ and enter your email to be the first to know when the app is released.
- Three things you can make for yourself right now that are not a big deal to make: Vegan Mac & Cheese, Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich on Whole Wheat Bread and Black Beans and Brown Rice!
- If you are not familiar with materials and the process for cooking, it can be intimidating, but you will never learn unless you start. Give it a shot! Don’t worry so much about following the directions.
- Baking is chemistry and following instructions…cooking is art! Be an artist!
- Preparation is key. Make sure that you think ahead about what you are going to do.
- Go-to, quick fix items: Crock Pot. Get a crock pot cook book like THIS one. It will be your best friend and all you have to do is shove the good stuff in the pot and leave it!
- Another great go-to when you are in a bind is salad! You can chop up vegetables and put anything you want on top of it!
- Marc Hayward keeps three things in his kitchen at all times. Limes, wine to cook with and a fresh herb like cilantro or parsley. You can do anything with limes! Cory mentioned Cayenne pepper when you want to kick it up a notch.
- Marc’s favorite spice is Cumin. Check it out in your local grocer. You can use it for your Mexican or thai recipes.
- Use your kids to help you cook. Having them around the kitchen is important and while you are cooking, you should explain what you are doing while you are doing it.
- Use a grill! You can cook meat, veggies or anything else you want right on the grill!
- Nicole Eats from Nicole-Eats.com gave us a sweet tip by recommending Peterbrooke Chocolatier in Winter Park, FL. They have a wonderful vegan chocolate that you can bring your own items or try their provided items dipped in chocolatey goodness!
Latest posts by Cory Warren (see all)
- Taking “Weird” All The Way To The Bank With LA Actor Tony Robinette - August 16, 2017
- How To Be Ultra Spiritual With JP Sears - August 10, 2017
- How To Assess All The Possibilities With Brain Balance - August 7, 2017