Want the convenience of eating pizza matched with the warm, wholesome goodness that is Vegan Shepherd’s Pie? Look no further! Now, using a meat substitute is not a regular thing in our house, but when it’s St. Paddy’s Day, we like to make an exception. TVP is a textured vegetable protein derived from soy that can be used in a variety of ways when preparing vegan meals. We love this recipe because it appeals to all different types of folks, no matter where they are on their plant-based journey. We hope you enjoy and have a lucky St. Paddy’s Day!
*Health Watch – This recipe contains soy or oil. Although soy is derived from soybeans, more than 3-5 servings per day can have a negative effect on insulin-like growth favor (IGF) levels in the body. While many of the oils in these products are non-GMO, all oils are high in saturated fat, calorically dense, and should be limited or eliminated to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- 2 Store Bought Vegan Pizza Crusts
- 2 Large Russet Potatoes - Peeled & Sliced
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- ½ tsp Coriander
- ½ tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1½ cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 Carrot - Peeled and Diced
- 1 Rib Celery - Peeled and Diced
- ½ Yellow Onion - Peeled
- 1-2 cups TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) -OR- Gardein Meat Crumbles (found in the frozen section)
- Salt to Taste
- Boil the potatoes until they are soft (about 15 minutes). Drain them well and move them to a medium sized bowl. Add the salt, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, and pepper, and mash the potatoes well with a fork. Set this mixture aside.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, cook the carrot, celery, and onion in the vegetable broth for fifteen minutes. Add the TVP and continue cooking the mixture until it thickens and all of the vegetable broth has been absorbed.
- Spoon half of the vegetable mixture onto each pizza crust and spread it evenly. Spoon half of the mashed potato mixture onto the top of each vegetable layer and spread this evenly as well. Bake the pizzas in the oven according to the directions on the package. Allow the pizzas to cool five minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!