Pro Vegan Triathlete Antoine Jolicoeur Desroches
What You Will Learn In This Episode:
It’s not everyday you hear from a pro Ironman triathlete that has a 100% vegan diet, but it is something that is becoming more common. This professional athlete fuels himself with quinoa, legumes and other plant-based foods not only for his own health, but for the planet. In this podcast we learn what truly drives Antoine Jolicoeur Desroches and why he has chosen to lead a vegan lifestyle.
Items Mentioned In The Podcast:
- Antoine raced professionally in the ITU (International Triathlon Union) Circuit. He currently competes in Ironman 70.3 distance races all around the world and has many corporate sponsors.
- National Training Center, or the NTC, is a world-renowned facility that is in Clermont, FL.
- A protein product that Cory mentioned during the podcast is Arbonne Vegan Protein Powder
- Rice and beans are a perfect combination of carbs and protein.
- Although most people might think that what Antoine eats is rather boring, he is happy with sticking to the same foods over and over again. When in tough situations when he travels, he is always able to make a large batch of quinoa for himself and use different spices and flavors to create different themed nights at home and on the road.
- One of the movies that Antoine watched that made him completely change his mind about the way he was eating was Cowspiracy. I highly recommend you check it out. No scare tactics…not in your face, but a shocking look at the global impact that raising, feeding and eating animals has on our planet. The movie had such a profound impact on him that when he saw the movie, he was a few days away from a race and just stopped eating meat instantly.
- Antoine mentioned that sometimes it might be good to blanch your kale before you eat it to make it a bit easier to stomach. For more information on the benefits of blanching kale, check this out.
- Antoine talked about vitamin b12 and how it can be tough to get it as a vegan, but he gets everything he needs from his food without supplementation. He also mentioned that since b12 comes from soil. Cory mentioned that he supplements himself with a 5G b12 pill each day and his kids with 1G of b12 per day. Vegans must be aware of their b12 intake.
- Antoine is sponsored by Kronobar, Liquid IV, EC3D Compression, NaturSource, La Clinique Chirurgicale de Laval, K-way, Spheric fat bikes and Martin Swiss bike shop. This year he will be part of a new team sponsored by Bistro B, Louis Garneau, Skechers, Compex, Tyr and Polar.
- The bean pasta noodle that was mentioned during the podcast that Cory could not think of the name for is Tolerant Foods. Check them out here.
Disclaimer: Real IronDAD™ is a blog, website and podcast to help busy families make the healthiest choices possible. Real IronDAD™ Radio on iTunes, and the website realirondad.com are in no way shape or form affiliated with, partnering with, representing or otherwise associated with the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC), the world-famous Ironman® brand or any of its events around the world.