I can finally share it! I had a wonderful experience in the recipe contest conducted by the Hass Avocado Board! The recipe I submitted was “Key Lime Sorbet Cupcakes” and it won second place! The award was at the convention for dietitians in the United States called FNCE and was hosted in Houston, TX. I decided to participate not only for the ticket to the convention, but to share one of my favorite vegan treat recipes! I had the opportunity to meet with many expert nutritionists in the vegetarian and vegan space. I am so happy to share the recipe with you and hope you enjoy it. The recipe is very easy to make and you are sure to impress anyone by its beautiful, bright green presentation.
For The Base:
- 1 cup almonds (previously soaked for at least for hours and drained)
- 5 dates (previously soaked for at least for hours and drained)
- 2 tablespoons grated unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For The Sorbet:
- 2 medium Hass avocados
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- Cupcake tray
- Cupcake liners
- Blender of Food Processor
- Cup and Measuring Spoons
- Put almonds and dates without the liquid in a blender or food processor and process until it forms a smooth paste. Add the remaining ingredients for the base and process until everything is well mixed. Set aside.
- Peel the avocados and remove the seeds.
- Place all ingredients for the sorbet in a blender and grind or process until you get a creamy consistency. Adjust the ingredients to your taste.
- Place a tablespoon of almond paste in every area of the tray for cupcakes, press dough firmly into the bottom of the molds.
- Fill the cupcakes with Avocado Sorbet. Garnish with a slice of lemon or lime.
- Put in the freezer for several hours or until completely solid. Remove from the freezer about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!