This jam is full of nutrients, is low in calories, sugar, and preservatives and vegan of course! It is perfect for spreading on toast, adding to your cereal or for any healthy dessert. The trick to making this vegan is using the Agar Powder. This powder is what causes a gelatin-like consistency to the jam. Most of us are not aware that gelatin is derived from animal bones and can be found in many jello’s and other gelatinous foods…even gummies for our kids.
- 1 cup of natural apple juice (look at the label to make sure there is no added sugar)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Agar powder
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of chopped apricots
- 1 cup chopped ripe pineapple (a can will work too)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Mix the juice, water and agar powder in a medium saucepan. Let stand for 5 minutes. Heat over low heat for 3 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat. Add the apricot, pineapple and ginger. Mix well and let cool.
- Pour into covered containers and refrigerate.