As the summer months creep in, parents like me look for sweet, cool treats to bring the kids in the backyard after they are playing in the hot sun. There are lots of store-bought popsicles, but I like to know what the ingredients are…in fact I like to SEE THEM! In this recipe, it’s perfect because it’s just fruit! Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest ones. I hope you like this recipe from our dessert specialist, Cedric. He is the master of plant-based treats!
For the special skewers we used, click HERE to find them on Amazon. (that’s our affiliate link, which means we get some loose commission change from Amazon if you buy them after you click that link!)
- 8-16 grapes
- 8-16 small hulled strawberries
- 8-16 blueberries
- 1 ripe peeled banana
- 2 peeled kiwis
- ¼ peeled melon
- Other fruit of choice: peeled pineapple, mango, apple, pear, etc.
- Chocolate sauce: 1 tbsp tahini, 1 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Wash the berries, grapes, apple and pear (if using).
- Peel and slice or chop the banana, kiwi, melon, pineapple, mango, apple and pear (if using) into small chunks. Leave the grapes and berries whole.
- Take a wooden skewer and thread each fruit piece one by one onto it, for example: 1 grape, 1 blueberry, 1 strawberry, 1 banana slice, 1 kiwi chunk, 1 melon chunk, etc. to make one band or repeat to make two bands. Leave some room on each end for grabbing. Do the same to make the 3 other skewers.
- Transfer the fruit skewers onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Mix the chocolate sauce ingredients in a cup until combined and smooth. Transfer sauce into a baggy, seal it and cut a small opening at one of the corners. Gently squeeze down on the baggy to drizzle the sauce evenly on top of the fruit skewers.
- Place the baking sheet into the freezer and freeze the skewers for 30 minutes or until the chocolate drizzle firms up. When ready to eat, remove from freezer and let sit for 5 minutes before enjoying. Store in fridge.